偶像練習生 Idol Producer is a Chinese show airing on iQiyi. The aim of this show is to form a new idol male group made of 9 members. Jolin appeared in the latest episode of the show which aired on March 30th, watch below !
What Jolin said to the trainees (translation edited by @Caroline Chong):
- When her first album JOLIN1019 has been released, she became popular, but she didn’t understand why: “I was lost. My heart was not open. The audience could feel I was very tense. I was hiding my true feelings. In the end, my body and mind were exhausted. The worst thing that happened is that I didn’t want to sing. There is nothing left for me in this industry!”
- She didn’t understand why she was popular: “I didn’t think I was successful. I was not particularly happy!” A professor from her college asked her to stop singing, he was hoping she would focus on her studies. She thinks that all the criticism she received were right: “I didn’t understand enough about myself”. Through learning new things and spending time with herself, she slowly began to have a better understanding of herself: “When you start to leave some time to spend with yourself, you’ll be able to remove yourself from the negativity and pressure. This logic applies to other things too. Sometimes it’s good to review yourself objectively. With this mindset, I’m now able to interact and have fun with everybody.”
- Jolin can open up with everyone and express herself. With these words in mind, she’s very worried about the lack of good psychological development for newcomers: “I’m afraid that you’ll have depression. It’s terribly serious. So I just want to give you hugs and support because it’s very hard for kids nowadays.”
- When asked about being hated, Jolin felt empathy. She used to think that the problems lie with herself: “If you feel breathless while singing, if your pitch goes off while singing, these are problems you’ll have to fix and improve. If you continue to receive criticism even though you’ve done well for all aspects, I’ll start swearing at home. ‘Who do you think you are?’“ She mentioned that it’s good to ask yourself everyday, what’s the best thing you’ve done today to give yourself a confidence boost. She said that confidence is something within you, not something given by others: “This way I wouldn’t become a piece of glass. The voice of others wouldn’t sway me so easily.”
- Jolin was asked if she was afraid of something. She answered she used to be afraid of talking because she doesn’t have a very strong logic: “Now I feel that I don’t have to be an orator. I will be myself. Everyone has a different style.”
A student asked her what she would do if she had to do something she didn’t like, something that was unlike of herself, yet everyone liked it. Jolin answered without hesitation: “I’d try it. If I still find it unsuitable for me after trying, I wouldn’t do it. If you have these thoughts in your mind, you should act on them first. Don’t let them be stuck in your head and be an unnecessary burden to yourself.” She mentioned that nobody lives without a single mistake in their lives. “Our lives are colorful because of these mistakes.”
On March 30th, Jolin performed five songs at LiQuan Beer 1998 Music Party !
Click on the picture below to access the photo album !
Finally, PLAY World Tour DVD/BD ranked #5 on 5music for its 9th week !